During the British colonial rule in 1915, a weaving school was established at Pabna to meet Textile technician education by offering artisan level course. It was named Pabna Govt. Weaving School. The Governor of Bengal of the then British Government visited this institution on 25 January 1926. It was upgraded to Pabna District Textile Institute in 1980 to offer two years certificate course in Textile Technology.
In 1994 this institute was promoted to conduct three years Diploma course in Textile Engineering under Bangladesh Technical Education Board. The Prime Minister of Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh decided to upgrade this institution to B.Sc. in Textile Engineering College in 2006 to offer four Years Bachelor Degree in Textile Engineering by affiliation with the University of Rajshahi and renamed it as Pabna Textile Engineering College.At present Pabna Textile Engineering College under the "Jute and Textile ministry" affiliation with The "Bangladesh University of Textiles" .